Hands on Time: 5-10 minutes
Baking Time: 15-20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12-15 Cornsticks
A real party pleaser!
- 1/2 cup room tempurature beer
- 2 cups WEM Cornbread Mix
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, corn, vegetable or olive oil.
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 jalapenos (1-½ tablespoons), seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup grated Monterrey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place a cast-iron corn stick pan in the oven to preheat.
- In medium bowl, stir together Cornbread Mix, baking soda, and sugar. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
- Add egg, butter or oil, buttermilk and beer. Mix just until moistened.
- Fold in cheese.
- Remove hot pan from oven and coat well with cooking spray.
- Spoon in batter.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
The trick to corn sticks that don’t stick to the pan, is to make sure the pan is well oiled and really hot when the batter goes in. An 8-10 inch cast iron skillet or 9 inch square baking pan will work if you don’t have a corn stick pan.