Hands on Time: 12 minutes
Baking Time: 60 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 12-15 minutes
Yield: 1 9 X 5 Inch loaf
2 variations on a tried and true favorite!
- 2 cups WEM Whole Wheat Flour OR 1 cup WEM Whole Wheat Flour and 1 cup WEM All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar OR 3/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana (3-4 small bananas)
- 1 stick melted butter or 1/2 cup vegetable oil OR 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (lowfat version)
- 2 eggs OR 2 egg whites (lowfat)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- If using lowfat version, 1/4 cup buttermilk.
- Optional: 1 cup chopped pecans, walnuts or sunflower seeds.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Coat a 9 X 5 inch loaf pan heavily with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
- In smaller bowl, mash bananas.
- Add butter, honey or sugar, eggs and vanilla. Lowfat version: Add applesauce, buttermilk, egg whites and vanilla.
- Fold in nuts or seeds
- Pour into loaf pan.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on rack and remove from pan.