Hands on Time: 15-20 minutes
Baking Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours including rise time
Yield: 1 large loaf
Chocked full of barley and hearty good taste. Hulled barley has more fiber than pearled because the bran is intact.
- 1/2 cup WEM Pearled or Hulled Barley
- 1 package (1 scant tablespoon) dry active yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup WEM Rolled Oats
- 1 cup WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 3 cups WEM All-Purpose Flour
- In medium size saucepan, bring barley and water to a boil. Cover, lower heat and simmer for 40 minutes. If all water is not absorbed, drain.
- In large bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm (not hot) milk.
- Stir in egg white, oil, sugar, salt, oats and whole wheat flour.
- Beat vigorously by hand or with an electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Mix in the barley and all-purpose flour.
- Turn out on floured board and knead 5 minutes or knead with electric mixer using dough hook attachment.
- Place in a clean oiled bowl turning once to coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a clean towel and set in a warm place to rise 1 1/2 hours.
- Deflate dough and shape into a large oblong loaf.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place dough on baking sheet, cover with towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake 35 minutes or until bottom of loaf is golden brown.
- Remove from pan and cool on rack.