Baking Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 8 to 10
An old fashioned favorite!
- 1 1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated (4 yolks, 4 whites)
- 1 square unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon rum or rum extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup fine graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup WEM Wheat Germ
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together crust ingredients and press into 8 or 9 inch pie pan bottom and sides.
- Bake 8-10 minutes. Let cool.
- In a saucepan, pour in milk and sprinkle in gelatin. Stir in sugar, salt and egg yolks. Beat to blend thoroughly.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring until thickened. Do not let mixture boil!
- Remove from heat and pour 1/2 of mixture into a medium size bowl.
- Melt chocolate and stir in to 1/2 in saucepan. Add vanilla.
- Stir rum into bowl mixture.
- Chill until both mixtures mound when dropped from a spoon.
- In a medium bowl beat the egg whites with a whisk or electric mixer until stiff, but not dry.
- Fold half into the chocolate mixture and the other half into the rum mixture.
- Spread the chocolate mixture over the crumb crust.
- Spread the rum mixture over the chocolate mixture.
- Whip the cream until stiff and spread over all.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Chill the bowl you whip the cream in and it will set up quicker.