Hands on Time: 15-20
Baking Time: 12-15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup War Eagle Mill Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup War Eagle Mill Corn Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- zest from lemon
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- juice from 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat large cookie sheet with non-stick spray or line with parchment paper.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center.
- Mix together the buttermilk, egg and lemons zest and pour into center of flour mixture. Blend with a fork until just moistened.
- In a small bowl toss together berries with cornstarch then add to flour mixture. Gently stir just until berries are incorporated into batter.
- Using a large spoon or scoop, drop dough into mounds, leaving about an inch between each one. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until tops are golden.
- Optional topping: Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice just enough to make a thin glaze. Drizzle over warm biscuits and sprinkle with nuts. Best served warm.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Toppings are optional, as these biscuits are great split open and served with butter. Frozen berries can be used if you don’t have time to go pick your own!