Hands on Time: 10-15 minutes
Baking Time: 2-3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours
Yield: 1 loaf
Quick to make, slow to cook, New England steam bread is traditionally served with beans, soups and chowders.
- 1 cup WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup WEM Yellow Cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds (optional)
- 1/3 cup sorghum or molasses
- 1 cup regular or lowfat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Oil and flour a clean, 1 pound coffee can or oven proof crock.
- In medium size bowl, stir together dry ingredients including raisins.
- In small bowl, mix together the molasses and buttermilk.
- Stir into dry ingredients, mixing well.
- Spoon batter into can or crock. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Set can in a larger pot that has a tight fitting lid. Pour 2 inches of water in larger pot. Place lid on pot.
- Steam over medium-low heat for two hours.
- Alternate, energy saving cooking method: Place covered can in crock pot. Add 2 inches of water. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Delicious spread with cream cheese!