Made with heart-healthy cocoa, these whole-grain brownies are a double winner!
- 4 tablespoons butter or non-transfat margarine
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 2 eggs or 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup WEM Whole Wheat Flour, sifted, OR, 1/2 cup WEM All-Purpose Flour OR 1/4 cup of each
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
Hands-on Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35-40 minutes
Yield: 16-18 bars
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat a 9 X 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In medium-size microwave bowl or saucepan, melt butter with cocoa. Cool.
- Add sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt, flour, and nuts.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until firm but not dry on top. Do not overbake.
- Cool and cut into squares.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
When cool, dust with powdered sugar, frost with chocolate buttercream, or with 1 cup chocolate chips melted in 1/4 cup heavy cream.