Hands on Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 8 to 10
Gluten free and the bean and cornmeal make a healthy protein as well as a delicious combination.
Here’s what you will need:
- 2 cups WEM Yellow or White Cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper (optional)
- 2 cups cooked, drained pinto beans (1-15 1/2 oz. can)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings, olive or vegetable oil.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Put bacon drippings or oil in a 10 inch cast iron skillet or a 9 inch pan and put in oven while preheating.
- In a medium size bowl, stir together the cornmeal, salt and baking powder
- In a small bowl combine eggs and milk.
- Stir into dry mixture.
- Drain beans.
- Spoon beans into batter and mix well.
- Remove hot pan from oven.
- Pour hot oil into batter and mix well.
- Pour batter into hot pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Cherokee Bean Bread and a crisp green salad make a quick and complete meal!