Hands on Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 45 minutes including rise time
Yield: About 24 rolls
Fantastic chewy cornmeal rolls with no added fat!
- 1/2 cup WEM Yellow Corn Meal
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups WEM Organic Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon WEM Yellow Corn Meal
- In medium saucepan, bring milk and salt to a simmer. Gradually whisk in cornmeal. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In large bowl (or stand mixer bowl) beat together yeast, water, brown sugar, two eggs and the corn meal mush.
- Slowly add enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn out on floured surface. (If your mixer has a dough hook leave dough in bowl, switch attachments and knead by machine.)
- Knead until smooth.
- Place in a clean, oiled bowl, turning once to coat dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a clean dish towel.
- Set in warm place and let rise until double, about 2 hours.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface.Pinching off walnut size pieces, roll dough into balls.Sprinkle baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of corn meal.
- Place dough balls on baking sheet.
- Cover again, set in a warm place and let rise until double in bulk, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brush top of each roll with beaten egg and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Cut two parallel slits in top of each roll.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Wonderful with butter and honey!