Hands on Time: 15-20 minutes
Baking Time: 6-8 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 8, 8 inch rounds
A Norwegian style flat bread that is quick and simple to make. Serve with soups, salads or cheese and fruit.
- 1 cup WEM White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 cup WEM Soy or Rye Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- sesame or poppy seeds (optional)
- In medium bowl, mix dry ingredients together.
- Stir in olive oil.
- Stir in buttermilk and combine to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out on floured surface.
- Knead 30 seconds.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Shape dough into a cylinder and divide into 8 pieces.
- Shape each piece into a ball and flatten. With a floured rolling pin, roll as thin as possible into an 8 inch round. Flour as needed to keep from sticking.(Keep remaining dough balls covered while rolling to prevent drying.
- Place flat bread on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Optional: Brush with egg white and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.
- Bake until crisp and slightly brown around edges-6-8 minutes
- Cool on wire rack
- When cool, break into irregular pieces to serve.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Excellent served with hummas, cream cheese, peanut butter, fruit spread or chutney.