Baking Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Yield: 1 loaf
This is a delicious cake, (similar to a sweet, quick bread) served with tea or for brunch.
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup WEM Flaxseed (ground to meal in a blender or spice mill) or 6 tablespoons WEM Flaxmeal
- 2 cups WEM All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind (zest)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar combined with 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 9 X 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and sprinkle bottom and sides with the 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Grind flaxseed in blender or spice mill.
- Grate lemon zest.
- Combine the 3/4 cup sugar and eggs in large bowl. Beat vigorously by hand or at high speed with electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Add buttermilk, oil, lemon zest and vanilla combining well.
- In a smaller bowl, combine flaxmeal, flour, baking powder, soda, and salt and whisk together.
- Add flour mixture to buttermilk mixture gradually, stirring well.
- Pour batter into loaf pan.
- Bake 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely.
- Drizzle glaze over top of loaf.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
For an elegant dessert, slice and serve with a scoop of raspberry sorbet.