A moist and fruity, rich yummy bun!
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 packages (2 scant tablespoons) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup sour cream or yogurt
- 2 eggs, separated (2 yolks, 2 whites, beaten)
- 3 cups WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
Hands-on Time: 25 minutes
Baking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours including rising time
Yield: About 28 rolls
- In small saucepan or microwave bowl, scald the milk.
- Add butter and let cool to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add milk mixture, sour cream, and egg yolks.
- Stir in whole wheat flour, sugar, and salt beating vigorously by hand or with an electric mixer.
- Fold in all-purpose flour and beat until dough is no longer sticky.
- Turn out on a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or knead with an electric mixer using the dough hook.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 60-90 minutes or until double in size.
- Punch down dough and shape into smooth balls about 2 inches in diameter.
- Place 2 inches apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- With your thumb, make a deep depression in the center of the bun.
- Brush with beaten egg white and fill with about 1 teaspoon jam.
- Let rise for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake 15 minutes.