Hands on Time: 25 minutes
Baking Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 2 1/2 hours including cooking and rise time
Yield: 2 mediom loaves
A favorite southern grain incorporated into a wholesome flavorful loaf!
- 1/2 cup WEM Yellow or White Grits
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 package dry active yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 3 tablespoons honey or sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup WEM Whhole Wheat Flour
- 3 1/2 cups WEM All-Purpose (unbleached) Flour
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the grits and the 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, turn heat down and simmer for 15 minutes (stirring occasionally) or until grits are tender. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water.
- Stir in milk, honey or sugar, oil, egg, cooked grits, salt, and whole wheat flour beating vigorously by hand or with an electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Stir in unbleached flour.
- Tur out on floured surface and knead for 10 minutes. (Or with mixer using dough hook attachment.)
- Place in clean oiled bowl turning once to coat.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Deflate dough and divide into two pieces.
- Shape into loaves and place in 9 X 5 inch loaf pans
- Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake fo 35 minutes or until bottom of loaves are golden brown.
- Remove from pans and cool on rack.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Makes really delicious cheese toast in toaster oven.