Hands on Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 1/2 hours including rise time
Yield: 36 rolls
Moist, yummy rolls! These are the perfect dinner rolls for your traditional family celebrations.
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 stick butter or 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 cups WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 4-1/2 cups WEM All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In medium saucepan or microwave bowl scald milk.
- Stir in butter to melt.
- Remove from heat and add sugar. Let cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in egg and yeast.
- Stir in the whole wheat flour mixing vigorously by hand or with an electric mixer for about 3 minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Let sponge rise for 30 minutes.
- Remove plastic wrap and stir in salt and all-purpose flour.
- Turn out on floured surface adding just enough flour to be able to work sticky dough. Knead 5 minutes.
- Place in oiled bowl turning once to coat.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until double in bulk, about 60-90 minutes.
- Punch dough down.
- Butter or oil hands, pinch off pieces of dough and work into your favorite dinner roll shape-pan rolls, two sectioned, 3 ball cloverleaf, Parkerhouse or crescent rolls.
- Place in well-buttered baking pans, muffin tins or on baking sheets.
- Cover with a light weight towel and let rise for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until delicately browned.
- Remove from oven and butter tops before removing from pan.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Before putting in oven, brush tops with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sesame, poppy or flax seeds or wheat germ.
For Wheat Germ Rolls, use 6 1/2 cups WEM All-Purpose Flour and 1 cup WEM Toasted Wheat Germ instead of whole wheat flour. Sprinkle tops with wheat germ.