Hands on Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 35-40 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours including rise time
Yield: 2 loaves
Hearty and delicious!
- 2 packages dry active yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 cups warm skim or 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons honey or sugar
- 7-7 1/2 cups WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable or olive oil
- In small bowl or measuring cup, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In large mixing bowl, stir honey into warm milk.
- Stir in whole wheat flour, yeast, oil, and salt.
- Beat vigorously by hand for 3 minutes or with an electric mixer for 1 minute.
- Turn out on floured surface and knead by hand for 10 minutes or using mixer with dough hook for 7 minutes.
- Place in oiled bowl turning once to coat.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 60-90 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Deflate dough and shape into two loaves or for rustic loaves, shape into rounds.s or rustic loaves on greased baking sheet or baking stone.
- Cover and let rise 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake 35-40 minutes until golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when thumped.
- Remove from pans and cool on rack
Recipe Tips and Tricks
For soft crust, brush with butter or oil while warm from oven.