Hands on Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 2 1/2 -3 hours including rise time
Yield: 2 loaves
Extra nutritious with the addition of heart healthy oat bran!
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons honey or sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup WEM Oat Bran
- 2 cups WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup powdered milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups WEM All-Purpose (unbleached) Flour
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water
- In a small bowl stir honey or sugar and oil into hot water. Cool to lukewarm.
- Add to yeast.
- Stir in oat bran, whole wheat flour, milk and salt.
- Mix in unbleached flour cup by cup.
- Turn out on floured surface and knead until smooth, 5-10 minutes or use electric mixer with dough hook attachment.
- Place in a greased bowl turning once to coat.
- Cover and let rise 60-90 minutes or until double in size.
- Deflate dough and divide into 2 pieces.
- Shape into loaves and place in loaf pans coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and let rise 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake 35 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on rack.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
For soft crust, brush tops with butter or oil while warm from oven.