A rich, tender, and delicious pastry. Prepare the pastry ahead of time as it must be chilled before filling.
- 3 cups WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups dried apricots, fruit bits, apples or peaches, chopped
- 1/4 cup honey or sugar
- 1/4 cup water
Baking Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: varies according to the length of chill
Yield: 12 Turnovers
- In a medium-size bowl, mix flour and salt together.
- Cut in butter or margarine with a pastry cutter or in a food processor by pulsing 5 or 6 times.
- Stir in sour cream or yogurt and the 2 tablespoons honey, mixing until the pastry sticks together rather than to the bowl.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- In a small saucepan, cook dried fruit, water, and honey for 5 minutes or until fruit is tender, adding more water if necessary.
- When ready to make turnovers, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and divide it into 12 balls.
- Place 1 ball at a time between 2 sheets of waxed paper or plastic wrap. Roll out dough with a rolling pin to a 6-inch circle.
- Gently remove paper or plastic and place the pastry on an ungreased baking sheet.
- When all dough is rolled and on a baking sheet, put 2 tablespoonfuls of filling in the center of each circle. Fold over, not quite all the way, leaving a small edge to press over, sealing with your finger or the tines of a fork. Prick top with a fork to vent.
- Bake 25 minutes.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
To freeze, wrap unbaked turnover individually and take out and bake as needed.